|Jonathan Rosenbaum (image courtesy of TimeOut)|
This post indexes those articles by Jonathan Rosenbaum that are related to jazz, whether in form of "film and jazz," or few cases of pure jazz writing.
- Bird Watching: about Charlie Parker films. In this article, Rosenbaum reviews Clint Eastwood's Bird and Garry Giddins' Celebrating Bird. In the meantime, some swinging descriptions are given of Birdland 1951 broadcast and the only TV appearance by Parker, from 1952.
- An American in Paris: the review of Round Midnight (directed by Bertrand Tavernier, loosely based on Bud Powell's life, starring Dexter Gordon)
- Black and Tan: review of the classic Ellington film, directed by Dudley Murphy, which was subject to a curious case of plagiarism in an Ellington book.
- Jazz ‘34: Remembrances of Kansas City Swing: a (hardly seen) Robert Altman film reviewed. Also, a good wealth of information about Jammin' the Blues film has been incorporated there.
- Jazz Soundies and other numbers from the 1940s: Soundies are now very easy to access (most of them are on YouTube), but back in the 1970s JR's critique of the series must have been very valuable to researchers and scholars.
- Born to Swing: this one is from 1974 and the musicians discussed are those of Basie orchestra.
- Too Big for the Screen: on Charles Mingus: Triumph of the Underdog. [if the link to JR's website didn't respond, try to reach it on Chicago Reader's homepage.]
- On Pete Kelly's Blues about a cornet player in a Dixieland band in 1927 Kansas City, starring Peggy Lee and Ella Fitzgerald (as well as Jack Webb who also directed the film, Edmond O’Brien, Janet Leigh and Lee Marvin as a jazzman!)
- One of My Favorite Things [On McCoy Tyner]
- Reviewing the reissue of Ahmad Jamal's Spotlite's recordings.
- Keith Jarrett, Cross-Referencer
- About Keith Jarrett's concert at Symphony Center (Chicago), February 12, 2010
General Essays and Lists
They are mostly written for Chicago Reader:
- The Golden Age of Jazz
- Cry of Jazz [+Space is the Place]
- Straight No Chaser
- Jazz on a Summer's Day
- Charles Mingus: Triumph Of The Underdog
- All Night Long
- Anita O'Day: The Life of a Jazz Singer
- Classic Jazz Performances
- Reel Life Jazz
- The Sound of Jazz
- The Wonderful World of Louis Armstrong